secondhand

2:10 AM

my momma hates you.

i mean hates

maybe it's because she loves me so much

and i know this because whenever we pass a smoker, she always tells me i deserve much better than secondhand

i believe her,

but...

honey we're way past secondhand

we're on like ninth or tenth hand, and im forgetting how to breathe, and i can't stop coughing, and im trying to hide the smell, but everyone seems to know.

everyone seems to know.



i've learned about withdrawal and tolerance and how some people reach a certain point where they are physically dependent upon a drug and emotionally dependent upon a drug, and i won't admit that i've reached that point with you, but i might have

so i'll keep inhaling

i'll keep exhaling

i'll keep brushing my teeth, even though i know you'll never go away

i'll place you right between my lips

again,

and again,

and again.



until cigarettes fall apart with the rest of me.



"A relit cigarette never tastes the same and that’s all i'll say on rekindling old flames."




7 comments

  1. i'll place you right between my lips
    again,
    and again,
    and again.

    yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bringing WRITING POETRY ABOUT CIGARETTES back from the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey I'll believe anything you write. Too good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAQHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH
    Nown with that out it of the way this post is dope

    ReplyDelete
  5. mindblowing. your analogies are magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are at least top five on my list of beautiful humans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "i won't admit that i've reached that point with you, but i might have

    so i'll keep inhaling

    i'll keep exhaling

    i'll keep brushing my teeth, even though i know you'll never go away"

    LIFE

    ReplyDelete