her name was adleen

1:09 AM

to you they mean spring but to me they mean winter

they mean pink blankets

and teacups

that hit the ground a little sooner than you hoped

they mean teacups

and white dogs

and every stolen chocolate from grandma's pantry

but they mostly mean birthdays

her name was adleen

and she was 2

and she was almost 3 

but she thought she was 8

because she danced like she was 8

because she sang like she was 8

because she spoke about angels like she was 8

and we celebrated her birthday every monday

for 8 mondays

and her favorite insect was a butterfly

because they flew to her

because they always flew to her

she held butterflies in her hands

as 

if

she

were

a

flower



and she was



and her name was adleen



and her birthday was every monday




because we knew







they'd stop coming









and they did.



january 16 2006 - december 9 2008




15 comments

  1. This is beautiful. The part about celebrating them on Mondays because you knew they'd stop coming.
    I feel like crying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .... this reminded me of every hallmark movie ever....... Truly stunning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy S I'm sorry.

    Tragic
    beautiful
    flowers
    little girls
    my daughter
    youth
    death
    life
    and everything in between.

    You make me want to write something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to write something as meaningful has you have done. But I can't fit emotion into words as eloquently as you can.
    Thank you for always writing with your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart just sank. I'm so sorry. This was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if I can't breathe because of that post or because of my cold.

    Definitely the post. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this took my breath away.
    and made my stomach feel something inside.

    i'm jealous of your gift for writing.

    it truly is absolutely beautiful.

    this post is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the last lines gave me chills and i love love love your writing and you and everything about your blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just some Saturday morning blog reading. This one brought me to tears. Brought me back to the slam when you read and I could hear your voice reading this. So good Madeline. So many feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. just casually stalking your blog and stumbled across this piece. it gets more beautiful every time. makes me feel so much and miss you so much.

    ReplyDelete