to whom it may concern

11:37 PM

high school: where the only thing high is the boy sitting next to you

it's 6 o'clock mornings but 8 o'clock tardy slips
it's 10 o'clock curfew but 12 o'clock sneak out lips
it's sitting at red lights filled with morons in mazdas,
the ones cutting you off just as careless as the only boy you ever really loved.

it's boys ranking "how hot" lower numbers than their gpa's, hitting up girls in skirts shorter than your first kiss

it's the ones we put on pedestals, and all the ones surrounding them
it's all the ones surrounding them
thinking they're more lonely than all the ones surrounding them

and now it's may 24th 2015, and i can stand here proudly before you to say that high school,

sucked.

it's been the most lonely
horrifying
emotionally traumatizing
part of my life (so far)

but honestly,

i couldn't be more grateful for it

because even though i missed more first periods than i actually went, i learned so much in high school

and I'm not talking about the ceramics, or the calculus, or any AP government classes

I learned so much about myself

i learned that i love working with kids, and i can't wait to be an elementary school teacher. i learned that chocolate milk is my favorite, and it's the only thing that can calm me down when i'm anxious. i learned that i suck at math, but im really good at saying thank you. how i love to write, and i love to read, how i love the underdog, but i'll never be a cat person

i learned that A squared plus B squared equals C squared

how C equals love, but A and B don't always turn out that way

and when they don't, i learned that my mom still loves me, and my dad still loves me, and even if i yell at my sister in front of her friends, she still loves me too

so if i could give high schoolers any bit of advice, or anything to just help get through

i'd say,

find out what foods ease your stress. take classes you think you might hate. drop out of art history. be on time. kiss your ex (but not too much). be as selfish as you want. be as selfless as you want. just do whatever whenever you want.

because that's the only way you'll find yourself.

and that's far more important than finding x.


i love you

i will miss you

be heard.



people are listening.

trust me.



14 comments

  1. Oh Madeline. It's always a pleasure reading. I'm listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you i love you i'm so glad you were in this class with me too <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much Madeline. you are my favorite human. you are so gifted and talented and I will miss you so much :( thanks for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that I know what you write about too <3 and don't you ever stop writing my dear

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're amazing and I love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. Truly, so much. I'd quote it all but that's too long. And you should know, you're amazing. And thanks for everything. Truly you've inspired me so much. I'll miss seeing you around

    ReplyDelete
  7. far more important than finding x

    *snaps*

    ReplyDelete
  8. the first few lines should be in a rap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow your posts inspire me every time, by sheer beauty at the very least. you've got a gift:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ive read your blog over and over again, not kidding i read it like 2 times a week. you are amazing and so talented i hope that i can be at least as half as good as you are. please keep writting

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading this on graduation day. I learned so much about how to write from reading your work, thank you. You're so good, you've got a reader waiting for you to get back from your mission. Oh, and your sister is ridiculously talented too. But anyway, you'll always be the first person whose writing I picked apart so I could learn how to do it. Your name and your pen name will always be legend in Paris. Thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete