goodbye (i hope)

9:21 PM

i hope you always have young eyes
but i hope you always have old eyes

i hope you have a young heart
and even younger thighs

because i know that's what i would've wanted 

i hope this fall isn't cold
that you're young in your mind

that this winter the one thing that leaves you behind

are the leaves,

that don't leave,

for too long. 

i wish you spring 
i wish you old eyes
i wish you summer 
i wish you young thighs 


i wish you everything you never wished me.


and when the leaves disappear,

and when those leaves leave my dear,

i hope you will too. 


4 comments

  1. I just love that last night you were telling Colby and I about the poem you dreamed and you pulled it together somehow. So solid Madeline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish you everything you never wished me.

    That's a beautiful line. And the post was also really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day I want to be able to write like you

    "and when the leaves disappear,
    and when those leaves leave my dear,
    i hope you will too."

    This is breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonight wanted to read some good poems so of course I ended up here. Never disappointed, you are so incredibly good.

    ReplyDelete