caution, we're still children at play

4:44 PM

you're another candle on a birthday cake

another vote in the election box

another not so fake id

wishing you always were

in a month from right now we'll be living down university avenue, staying up for homework past something momma never allowed. and i know we always said we'd go crazy when we got there, but the only things we'll be popping are knuckles and daily nyquil

in elementary school all i could think about was middle school

in middle school all i could think about was high school

in high school all i could think about was 18

and now all I'm thinking about is before

i said goodbye to a best friend on my 18th birthday. i didn't think i would be sad. and it wasn't until i was eating cake and showing my mom a map of boliva that i was. i spent the rest of the night crying over his favorite hymns on my favorite instrument

i thought being 18 would mean freedom but

bolivia has my heart, and michigan has my soul. hawaii has my favorite sky, but sweetheart, the sun is setting, and so is your childhood.



theres 1 month left of leaving your cereal on the counter, and having a clean slate once you come home

so stay awhile

smell the roses

it won't be long till petals hit the ground, 

and candles burn out with the rest of you.





4 comments

  1. sunset at last. this is good, you're good, and downtown Provo will be good for us madz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe this won't help but i promise life gets better

    ReplyDelete
  3. but sweetheart, the sun is setting, and so is your childhood.

    candles burn out with the rest of you.

    can i just say same. to everything. i wish you luck. also know that this post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "theres 1 month left of leaving your cereal on the counter, and having a clean slate once you come home

    so stay awhile

    smell the roses

    it won't be long till petals hit the ground,

    and candles burn out with the rest of you."

    This really hit me. Because I don't have a month. Because even though I live in the prettiest place in the world, my dorm room is the shittiest place in the world. And home is a world (3000 miles) away. But even though this makes me want to cry, I'm glad that you wrote it. And I'm glad that you write. And you're really good at it:)

    ReplyDelete